It’s no secret, workplace stress and burnout have almost doubled during the pandemic. People report feeling tired, over-worked, and having trouble relaxing at the end of the day. The blurred boundaries between home- and office life have caused professionals to struggle in protecting their mental health. Anxiety and depression were reported in increasing numbers, likely due to concerns about lockdowns and an uncertain future.
Anticipation and Anxiety
Anticipation can prepare us for stressful situations. Prolonged anticipation can create anxiety and overwhelm us with uncomfortable feelings about the future.
By acknowledging nervousness and uncertainty, we allow ourselves the full range of emotions as being human. How we deal with these feelings will either nurture or exasperate them. Through practicing empathy and an understanding that this has been a difficult time for us all, our feelings can transform from those of isolation to connection and belonging.
Tapping into the tactics we impart in our presentation skills workshop The Skilled Presenter™, we’ve compiled some techniques to recall and draw upon when stress arises.
With so much information surrounding the pandemic and the sometimes-divisive ways of perceiving and dealing with the still-evolving situation, the rule-of-three: grants us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
7 Tips for Dealing with Workplace Stress
Physical Stress Relief Techniques:
1. Take full, deep breaths
2. For a fresh perspective, get some fresh air or exercise, ideally in a new environment
3. Have an easy conversation with someone supportive
Mental Stress Relief Techniques:
Three tactics we use when dealing with complex information are:
4. Create a clear framework
5. Break information down into three parts to make it easy for your listener to digest
6. Establish an order to deal with large and competing sources of information
By practicing these physical and mental techniques, we regain some control.
7. If you’re nervous about a presentation at work our The Skilled Presenter™ workshop provides tried and tested techniques to perform well under pressure.